Agitate, Educate, and Organize ~OO~
PORTLAND, Ore. — At least five different rallies or protests are planned in different parts of Portland this Sunday afternoon, with four of them scheduled for downtown.
A large police presence is expected in downtown Portland because so many of the rallies are planned with conflicting messages and within close proximity to each other.
A Trump Free Speech rally is scheduled for the afternoon, and several groups are planning nearby rallies in opposition.
12:30 p.m. Sunday
Another rally, Portland Labor Against the Fascists, is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. at Terry Schrunk Plaza.
1 p.m. Sunday
Don’t Shoot Portland has announced that it is holding a free barbecue Sunday at 1 p.m. at Dawson Park in North Portland, called “Black is Beautiful and Our Voices Matter.”
2 p.m. Sunday
Endorsing Community Groups include:
– Portland International Socialist Organization (ISO)
– Voz Workers’ Rights Education Project
– Portland Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP)
– Students United for Palestinian Equal Rights (SUPER)
– American Iranian Friendship Council
-Veterans for Peace (VFP) Chapter 72
– Council on American-Islamic Relations (Cair-Oregon)
– Portland Immigrant Rights Coalition
– Portland Jobs with Justice
– The Portland Alliance
– Fair Shot for All Coalition
– Solidarity a Socialist-Feminist organization
– PCUN (Oregon’s Farmworkers Union)
– Americans United for Palestinian Human Rights (AUPHR)
– Portland’s UnShul
– Latino Network
– Portland Democratic Socialists of America
– Urban League of Portland
– Portland Unitarian Universalists for Justice in the Middle East
– Portland Peaceful Response Coalition
– Portland East Timor Action Network
– Nasty Women Get Shit Done PDX
– War Resisters League–Portland
-Tree of Life Educational Fund
– Friends of Sabeel North America
– Lutherans for Justice in the Holy Land
– Village Coalition
– Buddhist Peace Fellowship
– Mental Health Providers Unite
– American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
– St. Francis of Assisi Parish
– Augustana Lutheran Church
– Unite Oregon
– Commission on Hispanic Affairs
– Oregon Latino Health Coalition
– Portland Interfaith Clergy Resistance
– Oregon Working Families Party
– Western States Center
– Portland Association of Teachers Social Justice and Community Outreach Committee
– Right 2 Survive
– Quest Center for Integrative Health
– SEIU Local 503
– 350 PDX
– Interfaith Movement for Immigrant Justice
– Elders for a New World PDX
– YWCA of Greater Portland
– Oregon Students Empowered
– Wellbriety Movement: Lifted Spirit Group
– Occupation-Free Portland
– Cascade AIDS Project
– Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility
– Portland Metro Greens
– ISGP (Islamic Society of Greater Portland)
– Portland Socialist Alternative
– Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility
– Reynolds Education Association’s Social Justice Caucus
– Portland NOW (National Organization for Women)
– Oregon School Employees Association Staff Union
– Ainsworth United Church of Christ
– NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon
– Emily Georges Gottfried Fund
– Resolutions Northwest
– The Bridge Project PDX
– Climate Action Coalition
– Women’s March PDX
– March for Truth PDX
– IBEW Local 48
– United Nations Association of Portland
– Standing Up for Racial Justice – Portland (SURJ)
– Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW)
-Families for Peaceful protest
Mayor Wheeler: Sunday’s alt-right rally will go on as planned
Portland police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson says the large planned police presence is partly due to online threats of violence between some of the groups.
“Due to these threats and the potential for violence, persons attending any of the events are discouraged from bringing any weapons (firearms, knives, etc.) or items that can be used as weapons (sticks, bats, poles, rocks, fireworks/incendiary devices, etc.) to any of the events,” Simpson said in a press release Thursday. “Prohibited items may be seized by police and, if in violation of city, state or federal law, the possessor may be arrested and charged criminally.”
He added that the city of Portland has not issued any permits for street marches, so participants planning to march should follow all laws and remain on the sidewalks. He urged the groups to act peacefully.
“We recognize the tension between these groups, we recognize the threatening speech going back and forth and certainly the entire community is trying to process what happened last week,” said Portland Police Bureau Sgt. Pete Simpson.
While police have seen no specific indicators that the events will disrupt traffic or transit, they do encourage drivers and riders to be aware of that potential and plan for alternate routes.
Simpson added that to goal of the officers on hand will be to provide a safe environment for participants and non-participants alike, and to ensure “the peaceful exercise of the First Amendment.”
The following agencies will be helping the Portland Police Bureau ensure public safety on Sunday:
Simpson also offered the following statements on behalf of the bureau:
The Portland Police Bureau intends to share pertinent information with the community on the day of the events through its main Twitter account, @PortlandPolice
Life-threatening emergencies should be reported to 911. Call 911 if you can; text 911 if you can’t. Texts to 911 cannot include emoticons, emoji’s, pictures, or videos. People near others who are preparing to or in the act of committing criminal behavior are encouraged to separate themselves from the group and notify police.
Anyone with information about criminal behavior being planned at any of these events is asked to share it by email to CrimeTips@portlandoregon.gov; or, anonymously through Crime Stoppers of Oregon by texting CRIMES (274637) – Type 823HELP, followed by the tip; online at http://crimestoppersoforegon.com/submit_online_tip.php or by calling 503-823-HELP (4357).
© 2017 KGW-TV
The Wordsmith Collection: Writing & Creative Arts
Contact us through Square via firstname.lastname@example.org to donate to our funds at Missoula Federal Credit Union.
(email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please support Alternative Media and Education
and other real news resources…
Together we make a difference.
Thanks for all you do.
Join the Revolution!